The first thing you need to do is rid your yard of all of the accumulated debris from last fall until now. Follow these to ensure a green lawn you can be proud of:
- Remove all leaves and other plant debris such as sticks and other dead plants.
- Aerate damaged areas by turning over dirt and removing plugs of dirt and thatch.
- Mow the lawn about 30 percent shorter than normal.
- Apply seed, lime or starter fertilizer according to manufacturer instructions.
- Cover all patches with peat moss or mulch.
- Thoroughly water your lawn and keep it consistently moist for two to four weeks.
- Fertilize again after four weeks.